“The happiest place on Earth” is not resting on its laurels. The Disneyland Resort debuted Mickey’s Soundsational Parade on May 27th with the inaugural show, which got good reviews from guests. Mickey’s musical guests include many of the Disney characters including Peter Pan, Ariel, Aladdin, and Cinderella, as they follow Mickey “on a journey of sound and story.”
The parade will occur daily, marching throughout Disneyland Park. It consists of several floats with “pop-up” figures like a book, telling one of the important Disney stories. The parade is reportedly viewable from some of the hotels near Disneyland — although you should ask about this to verify when you book accommodations.
Here’s a short, preview video:
Included are live performers – a drumline, singers, performers in costume on the floats, and here are sine highlights from Disney’s press release:
- Mickey Mouse leads everyone and demonstrates his own rhythmic genius playing drums. Also included are Minnie Mouse, Chip ‘n’ Dale, Pluto, and Goofy.
- Next, the Genie from “Aladdin” takes over the street, leading Cymbal Dancers with a drum major’s baton and greeting guests. Abu, the pet monkey, claps and plays cymbals.
- From there, you go “Under the Sea,” with a Caribbean sound of steel drums. Ariel, the mermaid, “floats” above the octopus, who shows off his musical abilities usind multiple arms.
- Then you go south of the border with The Three Caballeros, flower dancers and piñata dancers. Donald Duck dangles a piñata overhead for his amigos from the Three Caballeros film, Jose and Panchito.
- Disney’s newest heroine, Rapunzel, leads a retinue of heroines, including Sleeping Beauty, Belle, Cinderella and Snow White. The musical tribute pays homage to the Disney princesses.
- Next come Disney jungle inhabitants, including Simba from “The Lion King” and there are two numbers from that movie.
- New Orleans embraces Princess Tiana, with jazz and Mardi Gras dancers cavorting as they surround Tiana’s riverboat.
- Don’t forget Neverland as Captain Hook, Peter Pan, Mr. Smee and some pirates battle it out while Tinker Bell plays mushroom-drums and three butterflies swirl about her.
- Mary Poppins and her friend Bert close out the parade, riding carousel horses. This grand finale unit includes 11 London chimney sweepers and a wonderful broom dance.
- “Mickey’s Soundsational Parade” is presented daily along theDisneyland parade route between Main Street, U.S.A., and “it’s a small world” in Fantasyland.